Thursday, September 09, 2010

Morning commute - rainy day feeling


Driving mist in steady wind, actually, and 12C on the thermometer. You couldn't see water hitting the puddles but it was wet, wet, wet.

Last night I was reading some posts on The Path Less Pedaled. When Russ' rain jacket wore out he switched to a Marmot DriClime Windshirt, a garmet that I own too. It has a thin fleece on the inside and a wind shell on the outside, and is supposed to protect you in a light rain while providing a bit of warmth. But if I was on an around the world bike tour I think I'd want a real rain jacket. I was surprised he thought it was good enough.

On the other hand, I've never worn it in the rain, so I thought I'd try it this morning. It worked great against the rain and I was dry on the inside. It does wear warm, though, and since it doesn't have any pit zips, you can overheat if you're really working out.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

JuliaR said...

Interesting analysis. Maybe it'll help you ride when it gets to about 5C. Still, you look pleased to be on your bike, never mind the rain. As I always say, the worst day on a bike is better than the best day on the bus.

Peter Reichert said...

It's a pretty worthwhile garment as it can go either as an outer layer or an insulating layer, even right against the skin. It's good for putting on when getting off the bike, too, to stay warm.

Agree with you about bike vs. bus, fo shizzle! :)