Monday, July 26, 2010

Bit of bike maintenance ...

A ticking noise coming from below caused me, after tightening everything I could think of, including the seat bolts, to finally take the drive train apart. I was surprised to discover the inner chain ring was so close to the chain stay that it had rubbed the paint right off it! I remember reading something on Peter White's site about Rivendell's choice of stock cranks for the Atlantis.

I was surprised, too, at the amount of wear on the teeth of the middle chain ring! It's gets used about 95% of the time when I commute. I'll have to keep a better eye on it.

The good news is the ticking noise is gone and the bike looks brand new!









The inner chain ring I was using had 26 teeth. Peter White recommends a 20 or 22 tooth inner ring for the Atlantis, but I couldn't find one locally (not even a 24 toother), so I put the old one back on for now. No one had a 36 tooth ring to replace the worn middle ring, either. So I settled for a 34 tooth black one.

1 comment:

JuliaR said...

If more folks even just oiled their chains, there'd be more bikes on the road! I think many people don't ride much because their bikes aren't in good shape and they squeak and rattle and just get too hard to pedal.