Thursday, August 12, 2010

Morning commute - looking good out there ...


You'd think people on bikes, on bike paths that keep them out of traffic, would be relaxed and enjoy their rides. My commute is 17 km on a paved pathway that crosses only two auto-bearing roads, one at the beginning and one at the end. It's heaven.

Except for my fellow "cyclists". I used hooks here because I don't consider myself a cyclist any longer. I'm a bike rider. A bike rider doesn't need to wear Lycra or have to dress like a comic book hero before throwing a leg over a bike saddle, which seems to have become de rigueur. You're actually looked upon as a totally hick by cyclists if you don't dress the part. And you're treated accordingly. It's like with motorcyles - Harley riders don't wave to guys on Yamahas. I remember the before-days when I wore Lycra and billboard jerseys and it was the other way around. I was the dork with the funny pants and weird shoes.

I've been back from a very relaxing bike-riding holiday for four days now, and I'm amazed at how uptight all the cyclists are on the bike paths. Instead of happy, smiling faces I see grim, determined cyclists smoking along at twice the 20kph speed limit. And you'd better not get in their way! It's not a Recreational Pathway after all, for all to use - no it's a Bike, er, Cycle Path! A super highway designed specifically for cyclists to see how fast they can go.

I can only imagine how much pedestrians must cringe whenever they hear a bicycle coming up behind them. Before the Ottawa River pathway was repaved and widened, the roadies road on the Parkway. Now they terrorize the pathways. I'm actually considering returning to the roads I used before the pathways became tolerable to ride on with skinny tyres. It's less stressful!

I still have the jerseys and shorts and shoes and I may even wear them again. I just hope I'm more courteous to my fellow pathway users than some of the cyclists I've met this week.

Come on, everyone. Relax. It's a bike ride for crying out loud! :)

5 comments:

Mr. G said...

A bike rider doesn't need to wear Lycra or have to dress like a comic book hero before throwing a leg over a bike saddle, which seems to have become de rigueur

LOL! I've noticed that also! And for every single sport is the same thing! If they play recreational soccer, they want to dress like Beckham, if they jog they have to use the lycra thing and the bottles and whatever "de rigeur" is. If they play chess I think they must use a suit and a tie to look like Karpov?

Have a good day and enjoy your ride!

JuliaR said...

Those Lycra dudes are grim and determined with everything they do. It's a contest. They have not discovered the Zen of just being.

We have to set an example and maybe, gradually, others will follow. I ring my bell all the time now, when I am coming up behind any pedestrian. Many of them leap up and twist around in fear to see what's coming and I smile and say something pleasant and indicate that I rang my bell way back so as not to startle them just one second before I passed them. It's a long road, leading by example, but it's the best way to accomplish something.

Also, it really helps that you bought me that beautiful brass zen bell. It's a pleasure to listen to it ring.

JuliaR said...

BTW that's a gorgeous view of the city.

Marc said...

Agree completely about the fast riders on shared pathways. In France the faster folks use the road, and in Calgary, the police setup radar traps and hand out juicy tickets. Beautiful pictures, I need to check in more here often.

Peter Reichert said...

Mr G. - Yes, and with the costume unfortunately comes the attitude.

JuliaR - Your welcome and thank you! :)

Marc - Hey, Sport. Thanks for stopping by. Radar guns, eh? Now there's an idea!