Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Writer

 
Something a little different. I thought by now I'd have the HDRs from Provence and Paris up on Flickr, but I've been distracted by this and that.

Adventures with taps and Q


The main "this" was a leaky faucet on the kitchen sink that went from bad to worse after I 'repaired' it. It leaked more and somehow the cold and hot got mixed up. When you pushed the lever to the right, hot water came out. At the time, I had no idea how a single-lever faucet "knew" hot from cold. But I do now, and it's fixed, thanks to some research on Moen's website, a very kind fellow at Home Depot who supplied we with spare parts (I was eyeing the new faucets), and an email to Moen on Saturday. It works better than new and even the parts work better together.

The "that" was the purchase of a new BBQ ... Er, excuse me, "Gas Grill". This thing is too huge to just be called a BBQ. When you only have bicycles to transport your propane cylinder between the Q and the refill station, you eventually realize a natural gas hookup is the way to go. Appropriately, my old propane Q gave it up just as I made this decision (and I only had to beat on it a little to help it succumb!).

I did some research on gas fitters and Qs and found someone who would hook me up for half the price of my gas provider. I ended up choosing a Vermont Castings gas grill and was delighted to find Home Depot sold them. My local store only had one left and as they were having a four day weekend BBQ special. Jule, after I mentioned this to her on the phone Friday afternoon, biked over and bought the thing.

I thought we might bring it home on one of the bike trailers, which shows you my naivety regarding its size. The thing is HUGE! Even in the box. And heavy. We biked over to the HD together after work and rented their van, a beat up, scraped and dented and filled with dirt gas guzzling beast - just what was needed to haul this thing home. It took two HD guys and me to load it. Getting it out was easier, thankfully, and J and I managed to slide its butt to the ground and stand it up and then walk it back a few feet into the garage.

We spent Saturday afternoon and evening putting it together, me shaking my head the whole time wondering what had gotten into me. I swore I'd never buy anything sight unseen again. It didn't look all that big in the pictures on the Vermont Castings website. For the most part everything went well.

The instructions were reasonably clear and most stuff fit together like it was designed. I was a bit disappointed to see I didn't get the exact grill I saw on the web. I think I have a 2007 model. But that's OK. The one thing the newer model had was a lamp to see what you're doing after dark, especially useful in the spring and fall. I've been outside with a flashlight, so I know what that's like. I'll have to get a stand-alone unit, or, take Jule's suggestion and wear a headlamp. :)

I've since realized it's not THAT big and am getting used to being on the patio, which we've rearranged to help it fit in.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

JuliaR said...

Thank you for fixing that tap and it IS even better than new! Next - the bathroom. Ack.

I didn't see "the writer" until you pointed him out - I think I was too distracted by everything else in the photo. But once you see him, he really draws you in.

Steaks on Wednesday!

Peter Reichert said...

It would help if you could more clearly see the pen he's contemplatively holding over his sheaf of papers. Being dead centre, I thought it would draw the viewer in, but I can see what you're saying about the distractions. On the other hand, he's the only one not engaged with someone else, alone with his thoughts. Long distance runners and writers have a lot in common ...

Anonymous said...

You'll really like your VC...it didn't fit in my Honda. J. had sent me to pick ours up. At that point, no man going by the car was even looking at me. I finally got an attendant to come out with tools so we could disassemble some parts and stuff them here and there in the car. Once home, I let J. unload.... and reassemble.... Natural gas hookup is brilliant (we have the propane version). Enjoy!!

Peter Reichert said...

Our model came partially assembled with the firebox already attached to the base, so it stood to its full height, save for the extra two inches of the casters. It barely fit into the loaner van, even on its side, and that made me a bit nervous as I didn't want to dent it up. But not to worry, VC seems to build their shipping containers as well as their Qs.

And the VC website has instructions on converting BBQs from either gas. CU soon, Carmen ...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got your issues with your faucet worked out, and am especially glad to hear that you had a good experience with the Home Depot folks and our website and customer service. If you have any other needs, there's a lot of great information here:

http://www.moen.com/consumersupport/FAQs/